Even the best of rides contains a few bits of not-perfect.
This was no exception.
The mini-mart I had been aiming for had elected in the three years since I stopped there last to stop selling gasoline. Inconvenient, but not insurmountable. If I baby the throttle and practice good momentum-maintenance I can make the next one...just. Probably coasting the last few feet.
I neglected to take into account the fact that the last ten miles or so are uphill. The design geniuses at BMW put the fuel pump in the front of the gas tank. I didn't make it up the hill.
Not the end of the world, Kawasaki provided nearly 50% greater tank volume when they built Thom's Concours. I'll just siphon some of his and raise the level in my tank so the injectors can get at it. What's this, no siphon? Mr. Always-Prepared isn't? How could this happen?
Well, this was going to be a low impact, just ridin' & shootin' pictures kinda trip. Motels obviate the need for the camping gear, the siphon/lightbulb/wire/etc. bag is attached to the cooler. Back at home. Damn.
So, off goes Thom to the next gas while I snap some pictures of the aluminum factory across the highway. Impressive, isn't it? Just out of curiosity, I checked...yup, four out of five bars of cell coverage. After all, the Interstate is just on the other side of the river. Radio waves can cross water. Cool. Go technology!
It was only about a half an hour until I had two sweet gallons to go the rest of the way up a short hill with. You may rest assured that the siphon bag is now (and will be remaining) on the bike all the time.
Good ridin' and a half-hour break. Nothin' wrong with that.
Watch the video on cohovision.

The second day was a great day of riding. Motorcycling is good for your mental health.
ReplyDeleteIf it weren't for the therapeutic properties of an occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.
ReplyDelete