26 March, 2007

monday

Yeah, but what the hell
is it?

I've been visiting motorcycle and sports car fora over the last few weeks to get the locals' take on the CanAm Spyder, which has been much the buzz of late.
The motorcycle guys and the car guys both seem to come in two major flavors: 1.) Those who are cautiously optimistic: "a 3wheeler might possibly provide at least some fun to its (probably foolish) owner until the novelty wore off" - and 2.) Those who find 3wheelers to be an abomination that wantonly spits bile in the face of the motor gods just to be pissy.

These two groups make up an easy 80%.
The remaining twenty percent either don't care or have already drunk the 3wheeler KoolAid.

I won't dwell on the car guys (and gals) because their point of view is as foreign to me as that of a retarded tapir. It essentially boils down to variations on two comments:

"It's dangerously unstable because of its lack of a fourth wheel."

This is simply due to lack of understanding of the physics involved.

and:

"I'd hate to get T-boned in that thing."

This is the line of thinking that has brought us 6000 lb. all terrain combat vehicles being used as one-occupant commuter cars in dense urban environments. That's simultaneously environmentally stupid and evolutionarily maladaptive. And willful stupidity is far and away the worst kind, so we'll disregard that perspective since spending all of one's time in an enclosed vehicle obviously causes brain damage.


What does concern us today is the reaction of the motorcyclist community. And by and large the motorcyclist reaction to Bombardier's first pavement-specific vehicle is:

"What good is it if it doesn't lean?"
A valid criticism found on every peg-dragger site I lurked in.

It doesn't lean.

It doesn't lean because it's not a motorcycle.

It's not a motorcycle, and - Ago forgive me - I like it anyway. But it's not a car either. It's something else. And we need as much something else as we can get.

Motorcyclists already use an "alternative" vehicle (from the POV of the majority) and are therefore more open to an alternative alternative, but ultimately bikers seem to be stuck on what they see as the "loss" of the tilting horizon. Some will eventually be able to get their heads around it (sidecarists first, I 'speck) and some will not. Ever. So it goes.

There will be (and indeed has been throughout history) considerable resistance to a "new" type of vehicle sharing the road with "regular" vehicles. Automobiles were once the catalyst for the same sort of resistance from the horse and carriage crowd. I imagine there were fur-clad naysayers in a torch-waving circle around Thor (the inventor of the wheel) shouting "What's wrong with walking from place to place like we've always done?" and things of a similar nature. It will pass. Eventually.

The thing about any change of paradigm, even a limited one like what constitutes a "proper" vehicle, is that it doesn't fully manifest until the last of the people who hold the old paradigm have died. So it's gonna be awhile before vehicles with even and odd numbers of wheels - both leaning and non-leaning - can share the roads in peace. But it will happen.

I just wish it would hurry the hell up.

Coming Soon: Guzzi Stelvio and a cohovision update.

7 comments:

  1. People will hate it until they see celebrities in them -- is there a side car for Paris Hilton's dog?

    Children will want them when they're used in video games and are seen on TV!

    Old people will want them when Medicare pays for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good analysis. I agree with you that we need other options. For me this particular vehicle doesn’t make sense. I have ridden both quads and three wheelers, both interesting but not near as fun as a bike for me. To me riding is all about the lean. If I personally do not get to lean I want my alternate transport to be fully enclosed so I don’t have to wear gear (weather protection). I don’t see any huge advantage to this over a bike. It doesn’t appear to have better storage capability, more performance, additional fuel mileage or better protection (from elements or crashes). Sure you could ride it in snow as it has three wheels but I am not too interested in gearing up to ride to work when it is 25 degrees and snowing. I already ride when it is above freezing and raining so it has to go into the interesting toy category for me. Now, I know this one is backwards for you, but I would put my $ where my mouth is for this www.flytheroad.com . It not only leans but is fully enclosed so I could ride it on days I need to wear a suit to work or in the snow. Plus it looks like a missile.

    Comet

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I'm ever lucky enough to have a garage full of bikes, I'd love to have a 3 wheeled touring bike. Along with a panhead bobber and my dream bike - a diesel dualsport for a trans central-america journey. If I'm going to be carrying a tank of fuel sloshing around, I'd want it to be diesel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bones,
    Once I get done with this maddening infatuation with 3wheelers I was leaning toward diesel as my next intellectual hobbyhorse. Another bunch of "fringe" vehicles that are either homemade or massively expensive...Oh, boy!

    Ooo! Diesel Hybrid 3wheeler!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comet,
    You're right, it does look like a "missile."

    But it only goes 100mph. I can't see you putting up with that for long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. David,
    There's a huge storage compartment in the nose, the dog-rat could go in there. One can only hope said compartment is airtight...

    If Medicare starts paying for these I might have to break a hip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coho,

    the faster one (there is a 50 and 100 version) has liquid cooled electric motors and not only accelerates faster but goes 125 and that should keep me smiling!

    Comet

    ReplyDelete